Gurdwara (The Khalsa Diwan Society) was first established in 1912 by the pioneers in the community, the new modern building of Gurdwara (Sikh temple) dates from 1969. The original concrete block & brick building was designed by architect H.S. Griffith in 1912. Sikhs have been part of the community since the first immigrants from India came to Victoria in 1904. Many found work in the forest industry or nearby lumber mills along the Gorge.The first Sikhs to ever enter British Columbia were actually on an official trip as part of the Hong Kong army regiments who were travelling through Canada in commemoration of the Queen Victoria of England’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. Following this initial visit, a second contingent of Punjabi soldiers visited British Columbia in celebration of the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902. Arriving in Victoria on the Empress of Japan, on June 3, 1902, and led by Sardar Major Kadir Khan Bahadur, it was this group of South Asians who became intrigued at the possibilities of residing in British Columbia. Even in terms of the hospitality and reception they received, the larger British Columbian community tended to treat the Punjab soldiers with respect, as the local papers exclaimed “Turbaned Men Excite Interest: Awe inspiring men from India held the crowds.” In May 2012 the community marked a very significant occasion for The Khalsa Diwan Sikh Temple at 1210 Topaz Avenue is officially celebrated its 100th anniversary. Read More
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa , Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh is the Khalsa salutation used for the first time among the Sikhs by command of Guru Gobind Singh at the time of the manifestation of the Khalsa in 1699.
Respected Saad Sangat Ji, A team of officials from the Consulate general of India would visit Victoria on Saturday, September 10th at KDS Gurdwara Sahib 1210 Topaz Ave. The Consular Team would receive applications for passports, Visa, OCI and other consular services...